Monday, October 25, 2010

Emma's 2 Year Check-up and 34 Week OB Appt...

We have had a very productive Monday! Emma and I woke up and got around and headed to the grocery store. After putting away all the groceries, it was time to get Emma's diaper changed and head to her 2 year check-up, Shane came home to go with us. Emma was not very happy to be at the doctors, and screamed when taking her weight and height, screamed while the doctor tried to look in her ears, listen to her heart...pretty much during the entire examination! But I can't blame her one bit! Emma is all caught up on her vaccinations, so she only got a flu shot today. We take her back in 4 weeks to get a second. Her latest stats, to the best we could get, are:
Weight - 26.5 lbs
Height - 35 inches
Doctor said she appears to be doing great and developing on schedule, and that we have a beautiful little girl (which we know!)
Here are Emma's 2 year check-up pics ;)


After we left Emma's appointment, it was 12:15pm, so we headed home to eat some lunch and had to be at my 34 week OB appointment at 1:15pm. Today's appointment was with the new partner that just joined the practice 3 weeks ago, Dr. Joe. He said after reviewing my chart, it appears that I have had a perfect pregnancy in terms of weight gain, blood pressure, etc. Blood pressure today was 100/58, and I am measuring right at 34 weeks.
Baby's Heartbeat: 148 bpm
Weight: 133 lbs
He also felt around my stomach to see what position the baby is in and to our surprise, the baby is breech! Last Monday I felt the baby do something 'weird' and it was painful, and sure enough, it had flipped and the movements since then have been different. Back at our 30 week ultrasound, the baby was head down, and in perfect birthing position and we couldn't get any good shots of his/her face. So the doctor said that in 2 weeks when my regular OB doctor checks me and if the baby is still breech, we will have to decide on a plan.
I basically have 3 options:
1) Do nothing and see if the baby flips during labor, if not, attempt a breech delivery. The doctor said I was an ideal candidate to have a breech delivery, since I have already had one healthy delivery and Emma was not that big of a baby, and appears this baby will not be large either, and also, since the pushing phase of getting Emma out was short (like 4 good pushes). This is only if the baby is in 'pipe' position as he described it, if not, c-section is only option)
2) Try having the doctor externally manipulate the baby into flipping head down (he said I would come into the hospital and they would hook me up to an IV and be given medication to relax my uterus and then they would try to manipulate the baby).
3) Schedule a c-section

My first pick would be option 1, I want to avoid a c-section at all costs. The doctor said that he and Heidi (my regular OB) haven't had a chance to discuss breech deliveries and he is unsure how she feels about them (alot of times doctors would rather go with a scheduled c-section), but said that if she was not comfortable with it, he would be available for me to attempt it if I would like. So we could use your prayers that this baby flips head down, and if not, that we can have a safe breech delivery. Thanks! We go back for our 36 week appointment on Nov. 8th.

34 weeks, 1 day pregnant

After we got home from my appointment, I had Shane wait with Emma in the car, while I ran into the house to go to the bathroom, then Shane headed back to work, while I took Emma to the park...I thought she deserved a treat after being so good at the grocery store and both doctor appointments. I have been telling her I will take her to the park with the bumblebee ride, that is her favorite, and when we pulled up, the bumblebee had stuff blocking it off for use, must be broken. I felt bad, but Emma took it well, and sat on the rocket ship instead. She also ran around and played, but still won't go down the slide. After spending some time there, we came home and I put Emma down for a nap. Speaking of nap, that is what I am going to do now too! So until next time, God Bless!

No comments: