Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I did do some work too!

My trip home wasn't all rest and relaxing. My mom and I actually were very productive! I helped mow my mom's lawn (which is alot...3 separate sections that have to by push-mowed and 2 large sections that use the rider). We also planted a garden and some flowers.
My mom also enlisted me to help with her main bathroom mini-makeover! Which included taking down all the mirrors, shelving, cabinet, towel bar, etc and removing the base board trim. We painted and put down a new peel-n-stick tile for the flooring. After all that we of course had to rehang everything (in different spots) plus add a few things to hang in the bathroom! (She is lucky I am pretty handy with a drill from watching my hubby!) We also hung a few things in her bedroom while we had the tools out. I think the bathroom looks very nice, it needed a face lift, especially for when they go to sell their house! The true test will be what my husband thinks of it when we go home in July for my baby shower.
(sorry, no pics of the bathroom)

One of the more fun projects we worked hard on was my mom's new berm down at her new house. It sits in the front of the house and will be the center of the circle drive. She already had the dirt in and some rocks set. We worked on moving more rock and placing them (I picked out rock and pointed most of the time, since she wouldn't let me lift anything!) We had to move a bunch of rock from her smaller berms at the house they live at now, down to the new one. She has some really neat rocks, especially huge ones, that have been collected over the years. Also some of it is petrified wood, and one rock that you can tell was used for food grinding or something by the Native Americans. We also planted flowers, laid out the soaker hose, put the landscaping fabric down and mulched! She used at least 15 bags of mulch I think! It looks really nice and is beautiful to see when passing by on the highway. And the toads absolutely love it!

View looking towards the front of the house.

View looking from the house.
As you can see, we didn't get quite done. It rained, and rained, and then rained some more, so we were never able to make it back out to finish it. I think my mom already has it done by now.

Me & my Mom

My Dad and Mom...
I think this picture was taking on June 4th, their 31st Wedding Anniversary!

Evidence that they do still kinda like each other!
Obviously, if my dad knew I was gonna snap the picture, he would have never kissed my mom! I love candid shots!

What is this you ask?
I asked that same question! This is an old stereo/record player my dad drug out of the house! And yes it still works! Its what he blasts while he is working on the house. I thought it was kinda funny!

The new basement wall
One side of the basement.
They will have 2 bedrooms, full bath, huge storage area, utility room, gun room and an enormous family room down there!



My Dad really got to 'play in the dirt' on this project! He had to dig a giant hole to remove the dirt from the side of the house so he could rebuild the north side basement wall. And he made himself a nice pathway to and from the basement to take his bobcat down into the basement. Which made cleaning out the basement a lot easier and reduced a lot of stair climbing! Plus, it made it a lot easier to haul materials down into the basement!
As you can see, the house needs quite a bit of work. They already have done tons! The house is torn down to just the studs and really just needs to be put back together! Now its just a matter of my dad finding the time to work on it here and there between jobs to get it down!
The plans for the upstairs include turning the attached garage into a bedroom (mine, for when I come to stay) and my dad's office and a mudroom. They will have a huge open family room, dining room and kitchen that has the original fireplace in the middle of it all. My mom will also have a walk-in pantry and a large laundry/storage room. They are also adding on to the end of the house a large master suite!
It will be hard seeing them leave the house I spent my entire childhood, but I know this will make a better house for them as they grow older. And they really do need the space when all of us kids come home with our kids!

No comments: